Main Article Content
OBJECTIVE: To assess biochemical markers after administering Taraxacum officinale’s extract in cisplatin induced nephrotoxic albino mice.
METHODS: It was an experimental study, carried out on thirty albino mice categorized into six groups i-e: normal control (saline only), negative control (cisplatin-25mg/kg body weight intraperitoneally) and experimental groups (E1 to E4) (Taraxacum officinale’s extract at doses 100 mg, 200 mg, 400 mg and 800 mg per kg body weight respectively intraperitoneally followed by single dose of cisplatin-25 mg/kg body weight intraperitoneally). Effects of Taraxacum officinale’s extract on kidney were assessed by biochemical markers i-e blood urea and creatinine.
RESULTS: Comparison of blood urea levels in experimental groups (E1, E2, E3 & E4) was much lowered (242±36.6 mg/dl, 176.8±23.9 mg/dl, 179.4±69.5 mg/dl, 186.6±69.05 mg/dl respectively) than the negative control (363±111.1 mg/dl) [p value < 0.05]. Comparison of serum creatinine in negative control versus experimental groups respectively was decreased but statistically insignificant (serum creatinine levels of experimental groups were 1.60±0.65 mg/dl, 1.89±0.32 mg/dl, 1.66±0.62 mg/dl, 1.84±0.55 mg/dl while serum creatinine of negative control was 1.97±1.06 mg/dl) [p value > 0.05].
CONCLUSION: Taraxacum officinale’s extract (dandelion) significantly reduce the effects of renal toxicity produced by the cisplatin but was unable to completely revert cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice.
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
2. Martinez-Salgado C, Lopez-Hernandez FJ, Lopez-Novoa JM. Glomerular nephrotoxicity of aminoglycosides. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2007 Aug 15;223(1):86-98. DOI: 10.1016/j.taap.2007.05.004
3. Kim SY, Moon A. Drug-induced nephrotoxicity and its biomarkers. Biomol Ther 2012 May;20(3):268-72. DOI: 10.4062/biomolther.2012.20.3.268
4.Santos NA, Catão CS, Martins NM, Curti C, Bianchi ML, Santos AC. Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity is associated with oxidative stress, redox state unbalance, impairment of energetic metabolism and apoptosis in rat kidney mitochondria. Arch Toxicol 2007 Jul 1;81(7):495-504. DOI: 10.1007/s00204-006-0173-2
5. Zhu S, Pabla N, Tang C, He L, Dong Z. DNA damage response in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Arch Toxicol 2015 Dec 1;89(12):2197-205. DOI: 10.1007/s00204-015-1633-3
6. Lee DW, Faubel S, Edelstein CL. A pan caspase inhibitor decreases caspase-1, IL-1 α and IL-1 β, and protects against necrosis of cisplatin-treated freshly isolated proximal tubules. Ren Fail 2015 Jan 2;37(1):144-50. DOI: 10.3109/0886022X.2014.970194
7. Kelly K. The history of medicine; early civilizations, prehistoric times to 500C.E. 1st ed. Facts On File Inc., New York, USA. 2010.
8. Halberstein RA. Medicinal plants: historical and cross-cultural usage patterns. Ann Epidemiol 2005 Oct 1;15(9):686-99. DOI:10.1016/j.annepidem.2005.02.004
9. Khan H, Saeed M, Muhammad N. Pharmacological and phytochemical updates of genus Polygonatum. Phytopharmacol 2012;3(2):286-308.
10. Ahmad M, Hafeez Kamran S, Mobasher A. Protective effect of crude Curcuma longa and its methanolic extract in alloxanized rabbits. Pak J Pharm Sci 2014 Jan 1;27(1):121-8.
11. Singh R. Medicinal plants: A review. J Plant Sci 2015;3(1-1):50-5. DOI: 10.11648/j.jps.s.2015030101.18
12. Loguercio C, Festi D. Silybin and the liver: from basic research to clinical practice. World J Gastroenterol 2011 May 14;17(18):2288. DOI: 10.3748/wjg.v17.i18.2288
13. Javaid R, Aslam M, Nizami Q, Javaid R. Role of antioxidant herbal drugs in renal disorders: an overview. Free Radic Antiox 2012 Jan 1;2(1):2-5. DOI: 10.5530/ax.2012.2.2
14. Díaz K, Espinoza L, Madrid A, Pizarro L, Chamy R. Isolation and identification of compounds from bioactive extracts of Taraxacum officinale Weber ex F. H. Wigg. (Dandelion) as a potential source of antibacterial agents. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2018;2018. DOI: 10.1155/2018/2706417
15.Chen X, Tian Y, Xu L. Temperature and geographic attribution of change in the Taraxacum mongolicum growing season from 1990 to 2009 in eastern China’s temperate zone. Int J Biometeorol 2015 Oct 1;59(10):1437-52. DOI:10.1007/s00484-015-0955-4
16. Qureshi S, Adil S, El-Hack MA, Alagawany M, Farag MR. Beneficial uses of dandelion herb (Taraxacum officinale) in poultry nutrition. World's Poult Sci J 2017 Sep;73(3):591-602. DOI: 10.1017/S0043933917000459
17. Yang H, Li W, Wang L, Li W, Sun H, He X, et al. The protective effects of sika deer antler protein on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Cell Physiol Biochem 2017;43(1):395-404. DOI: 10.1159/000480418
18. Honek A, Martinkova Z, Saska P. Post‐dispersal predation of Taraxacum officinale (dandelion) seed. J Ecol 2005 Apr;93(2):345-52. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2745.2005.00987.x
19. Nisar M, Tariq SA, Marwat IK, Shah MR, Khan IA. Antibacterial, antifungal, insecticidal, cytotoxicity and phytotoxicity studies on Indigofera gerardiana. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 2009 Feb 1;24(1):224-9. DOI: 10.1080/14756360802051313
20. Fawcett JK, Scott J. A rapid and precise method for the determination of urea. J Clin Pathol 1960 Mar 1;13(2):156-9. DOI: 10.1136/jcp.13.2.156
21. Mazzachi BC, Peake MJ, Ehrhardt V. Reference range and method comparison studies for enzymatic and Jaffé creatinine assays in plasma and serum and early morning urine. Clin Lab 2000;46(1-2):53-5.
22. Finn WF, Porter GA. Urinary biomarkers and nephrotoxicity. In: De Broe ME, Porter GA, Bennet WM, Deray G (eds). Clinical Nephrotoxins: Renal Injury from Drugs and Chemicals. Springer, Boston, MA. 2008.p 92-130. DOI: 10.1007/978-0-387-84843-3
23.Nagai J, Takano M. Molecular-targeted approaches to reduce renal accumulation of nephrotoxic drugs. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2010 Sep 1;6(9):1125-38. DOI: 10.1517/17425255.2010.497140
24. Jariyawat S, Kigpituck P, Suksen K, Chuncharunee A, Chaovanalikit A, Piyachaturawat P. Protection against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice by Curcuma comosa Roxb. ethanol extract. J Nat Med 2009 Oct 1;63(4):430-6. DOI: 10.1007/s11418-009-0345-5
25. Hung YC, Huang GS, Lin LW, Hong MY, Se PS. Thea sinensis melanin prevents cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice. Food Chem Toxicol 2007 Jul 1;45(7):1123-30. DOI: 10.1016/j.fct.2006.12.017
26. Karakuş A, Değer Y, Yıldırım S. Protective effect of Silybum marianum and Taraxacum officinale extracts against oxidative kidney injuries induced by carbon tetrachloride in rats. Ren Fail 2017 Jan 1;39(1):1-6. DOI: 10.1080/0886022X.2016.124407
27. Di Cerbo A, Iannitti T, Guidetti G, Centenaro, S, Canello S, Cocco R. A nutraceutical diet based on Lespedeza spp., Vaccinium macrocarpon and Taraxacum officinale improves spontaneous feline chronic kidney disease. Physiol Rep 2018 Jun;6(12):e13737. DOI: 10.14814/phy2.13737
28. Zafar M, Naz L, Khan NI, Sohail S, Yasmeen G, Zehra N. Role of Taraxacum officinale wigg. against experimentally induced renal damage through carbon tetrachloride in rats. Int J Biol Biotech 2019;16(2):307-12.