Main Article Content
A 35 year old man presented with fever, abdominal pain, diarrhea andrecurrent oral ulceration for 2 years. Based on examination and investigations,initial diagnosis of abdominal tuberculosis (TB) was made, butthere was no response to anti-tuberculosis treatment (ATT) which leadsto search for other close differentials. Biopsy of right hemicolectomyspecimen raised strong suspicion of chronic caecal amebiasis. Patientwas started on amoebicidal medication for 3 weeks. He stayed symptomfree on follow up after 3 weeks with healing of the perianal abscess andmarked improvement in oral ulcers.
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
of amebiasis. Clin Infect Dis 1999;
2. De Villiers JP, Durra G. Case report:
amoebic abscess of the brain. Clin Radiol.
1998; 53: 307-9.
3. Thomas PD, Forbes A, Green J, Howdle
P, Long R, Playford R, et al. Guidelines for
the investigation of chronic diarrhoea, 2nd
edition. Gut 2003; 52 (Suppl 5): v1-15.
4. Boulware DR, Stauffer WM, Hendel-Paterson
BR. Maltreatment of Strongyloides
infection: Case series and worldwide
physicians-in training-survey. Am J Med
2007; 120: 545-8.
5. Kelly P, Menzies I, Crane R. Responses of
small intestinal architecture and functionover time to environmental factors in a
tropical population. Am J Trop Med Hyg
2004; 70: 412-19.
6. Owens SR, Greenson JK. The pathology
of malabsorption: Current concepts.
Histopathology 2007; 50: 64-82.
7. Majeed SK, Ghazanfar A, Ashraf J. Caecal
amoeboma simulating malignant neoplasia,
ileocaecal tuberculosis and Crohn’s
disease. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2003;
8. Mendell GL, Benett JE, Douglas RE. Principles
and practice of infectious diseases:
6 th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone;
9. Sharma D, Patel LK, Vaidya VV. Amoeboma
of ascending colon with multiple liver
abscesses. J Assoc Physicians India 2001;
10. Ng DC, Kwok SY, Cheng Y, Chung CC, Li
MK. Colonic amoebic abscess mimicking
carcinoma of the colon. Hong Kong Med
J 2006; 12: 71-3.
11. Ray G, Iqbal N. Right colonic mass with
hepatic lesion-remember amoeboma?
Indian J Gastroenterol 2006; 25: 272.
12. Radovanovic ZL, Katic VV, Nagorni AV,
Zivkovic VV, Stankovic TD, Trenkic MS.
Clinical diagnostic problems associated
with caecal amoeboma: Case report and
review of the literature. Pathol Res Pract
2007; 203: 823-5.
13. Thompson D, Milford-Ward A, Whicher
JT. The value of acute phase protein measurements
in clinical practice. Annals Clin
Biochem 1992; 29(2): 123-31.
14. Knight CJ. The investigation of chronic
diarrhoea. Current Paediatr 2003; 13(2),
15. Ronco C, Inguggiato P, Bordoni V. Rasburicase
therapy in acute hyperuricemia and
renal dysfunction. Contrib