Main Article Content
OBJECTIVE: To compare the efficacy of Aloe vera (AV) gel versus Ferric Sulphate (FS) as a pulp medicament in vital pulpotomy of deciduous molars.
METHODS: This randomized controlled trial was conducted at Peshawar Dental College, Peshawar, Pakistan. One hundred and fourteen patients were randomized into interventional group (A): who received AV gel & control group (B): who received as FS pulpotomy medicament. Deciduous molars of patients of both genders were selected for this study. Clinical signs & symptoms and radiological findings were then observed in both groups after a period of 6 months and then checked for their comparative efficacy.
RESULTS: Out of 114 patients, 69 (60.5%) were males. Postoperative pain came out to be as no pain [AV=44/57 (77.2%); FS=43/57 (75.4%)], mild pain [AV=07/57 (12.3%); FS=11/57 (19.3%)], moderate pain [AV=03/57 (5.3%); FS=01/57 (1.8%)] and severe pain [AV=03/57 (5.3%); FS=02/57 (3.5%)]. Periapical abscess was observed in total of 04/114 (3.5%) patients (AV=03/57; FS=01/57). Pathological tooth mobility was also present as mild/normal [AV=52/57 (91.2%); FS=56/57 (98.2%)], moderate [AV=04/57 (7%); FS=01/57 (1.8%)] and severe [AV=01/57 (1.8%)]. Radiographic changes were found in total of 06/114 (5.3%) patients (AV=04/57; FS=02/57). Out of 114 patients, 51/57 (89.47%) cases remained successful in group A while in group B, 54/57 (94.73%) were successful.
CONCLUSION: AV tends to prove favorable outcomes in terms of clinical signs and symptoms and radiological features comparable to ferric sulphate and could be a better & cheap alternative to other medicaments in future and can be used safely for pulpotomy.
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
2. Rodd HD, Waterhouse PJ, Fuks AB, Fayle SA, Moffat MA; British Society of Paediatric Dentistry. Pulp therapy for primary molars. Int J Paediatr Dent 2006;16(Suppl. 1):15-23. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-263X.2006.00774.x.
3. Yildiz E, Tosun G. Evaluation of formocresol, calcium hydroxide, ferric sulfate, and MTA primary molar pulpotomies. Eur J Dent. 2014;8(2):234-40. DOI: 10.4103/1305-7456.130616.
4. Smith NL, Seale NS, Nunn MS. Ferric sulfate pulpotomy in primary molars: a retrospective study. Pediatr Dent 2000;22(3):192-9.
5. Huth KC, Hajek-Al-Khatar N, Wolf P, Ilie N, Hickel R, Paschos E. Long-term effectiveness of four pulpotomy techniques: 3-year randomized controlled trial. Clin Oral Investig 2012;16(4):1243-50. DOI: 10.1007/s00784-011-0602-3.
6. Yadav P, Indushekar KR, Saraf B, Sheoran N, Sardana D. Comparative evaluation of Ferric Sulfate, Electrosurgical and Diode Laser on human primary molars pulpotomy: an “in-vivo” study. Laser Ther 2014;23(1):41-7. DOI: 10.5978/islsm.14-OR-05.
7. Taheri JB, Azimi S, Rafieian N, Zanjani HA. Herbs in dentistry. Int Dent J 2011;61(6):287-96. DOI: 10.1111/j.1875-595X.2011.00064.x.
8. Wadhawan R, Khan SDAA, Solanki G, Sabir S. Aloe Vera: A Boon in Dentistry. Int J Pharm Rev Res (IJPRR) 2014;4(3):147-51.
9. Agarwal A, Dwivedi N. Aloe Vera: Magic or myth. SRM J Res Dent Sci 2013; 4(3): 119-24. DOI: 10.4103/0976-433X.121638.
10. Sundarkar P, Govindwar R, Nyamati S, Alladwar N, Thombre V, Soni A, et al. Use of aloe vera in dentistry. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol (JIAOMR) 2011;23(5):389-91. DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1177.
11. Gupta N, Bhat M, Devi P, Girish. Aloe-Vera: A Nature’s Gift to Children. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2010;3(2):87-92. DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10005-1059.
12. Jittapiromsak N, Sahawat D, Banlunara W, Sangvanich P, Thunyakitpisal P. Acemannan, an extracted product from Aloe Vera, stimulates dental pulp cell proliferation, differentiation, mineralization, and dentin formation. Tissue Eng Part A 2010;16(6):1997-2006. DOI: 10.1089/ten.TEA.2009.0593.
13. Gala-Garcia A, Teixeira KI, Mendes LL, Sobrinho AP, Santos VR, Cortes ME. Effect of Aloe vera on Rat Pulp Tissue. Pharmaceutical Biol 2008;46(5):302-8. DOI: 10.1080/13880200801887138
14. Lewis C, Stout J. Toothache in US children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2010;164(11):1059-63. DOI: 10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.206.
15. Ibricevic H, Al-Jame Q. Ferric sulphate and formocresol in pulpotomy of primary molars: long term follow-up study. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2003;4(1):28-32.
16. Khan AM, Maxood A, Farani KS, Khan NA. Efficacy of Formocresol and Ferric Sulphate pulpotomies in Cariously Exposed Primary Molars. J Adv Med Dent Sci Res 2018;6(1):1-6.
17. Gonna S, Ghoname N, Kabbash A. Efficacy of Aloe Vera as A Pulpotomy Agent in Children Primary Teeth: Clinical and Radiographic Studies. J Gastroenterol Hepatol Res 2019;8(5):2946-51. DOI: 10.17554/j.issn.2224-3992.2019.08.842.