Main Article Content
Amyand’s hernia is a rare form of hernia in which the vermiform appendix is present within the inguinal hernia sac. Here, we report a 12 days-old neonate with features of inguinal abscess referred to us with a tender irreducible right inguino-scrotal swelling. On examination, there was tender swelling right inguino-scrotal region with abdominal wall edema extending up to right lower quadrant. Surgical exploration showed long appendix with a gangrenous 1/3 of distal appendix, peri-appendicular abscess in the inguinal hernia sac. Appendectomy and right herniotomy was performed. Amyand’s hernia presentation is variable: from a reducible inguinal hernia containing a normal appendix, to acute abdomen due to perforation of acute appendicitis secondary to incarceration. Only imaging can verify the contents of an incarcerated inguinal hernia. Surgical approach varies depending upon findings. In our case, we used separate incision for appendectomy.
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
2. Rajaguru K, Tan Ee Lee D. Amyand’s hernia with appendicitis masquerading as Fournier’s gangrene: A case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep 2016;10(1):263. DOI: 10.1186/s13256-016-1046-9
3. Dange A, Gireboinwad S. A rare case of Amyand’s hernia presenting in a 3-year-old male child. Indian J Surg 2013;75(4):332–3. DOI: 10.1007/s12262-013-0870-z
4. Ngom G, Amadou I, Ibrahima KA, Mubake A, Ndour O, Ndoye M. Rare disease. Amyand’s hernia with perforated appendix in a neonate. BMJ Case Rep 2010; 2010: bcr0320102847. DOI: 10.1136/bcr.03.2010.2847
5. Yoneyama F, Tanaka H, Ono K, Sasaki T, Jimbo T, Gotoh C, et al. An incarcerated appendix and the ileocecum within a left inguinal hernia in an infant. Surg Case Rep 2015;1(1):61. DOI: 10.1186/s40792-015-0064-y
6. Vehbi H, Agirgun C, Agirgun F, Dogan Y. Preoperative diagnosis of Amyand's hernia by ultrasound and computed tomography. Turk J Emerg Med 2016;16(2):72-4. DOI: 10.1016/j.tjem.2015.11.014
7. Khatoon R, Khan YA, Saddal NS. Perforated appendicitis with peri-appendicular abscess in an Amyand’s Hernia. APSP J Case Rep 2013;4(3):37.
8. Al Maksoud AM, Ahmed AS. Left Amyand’s hernia: An unexpected finding during inguinal hernia surgery. Int J Surg Case Rep 2015;14:7–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2015.06.029