Main Article Content
The camptodactyly-arthropathy-coxa vara-pericarditis syndrome (CACP) is a rare autosomal recessive disease characterized by congenital or early-onset camptodactyly, childhood-onset non-inflammatory arthropathy associated with synovial hyperplasia, constrictive pericarditis and coxa vara. This rare disease is caused by mutations in PRG4 Gene which encodes for lubricin, a protein present in synovial fluid responsible for lubrication.
The case we are reporting is of 9 and half years old boy who presented to us in pediatric Out Patient Department with early onset camptodactyly and non-inflammatory arthropathy. Synovial biopsy shows synovial hyperplasia with numerous CD68 positive multinucleated giant cells. He was discharged and physiotherapy was advised with regular follow ups.
KEY WORDS: Coxa Vara (MeSH); Lubricin (MeSH); Joint Diseases (MeSH); Arthropathy (MeSH); Osteoarthritis (MESH); Pericarditis (MeSH); Synovial Membrane (MeSH).
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
1. Peters B, Schuurs-Hoeijmakers JH, Fuijkschot J, Reimer A, van der Flier M, Lugtenberg D, et al. Protein-losing enteropathy in camptodactyly-arthropathy-coxa vara-pericarditis (CACP) syndrome. Pediatr Rheumatol Online J 2016;14(1):32. DOI: 10.1186/s12969-016-0093-5
2. Al-Mayouf SM, Almutairi N, Alismail K. The Efficacy of Yttrium-90 Radiosynovectomy in Patients with Camptodactyly-Arthropathy-Coxa Vara-Pericarditis Syndrome. Mol Imaging Radionucl Ther 2017;26(1):33-7. DOI: 10.4274/mirt.29484
3. Ciullini Mannurita S, Vignoli M, Bianchi L, Kondi A, Gerloni V, Breda L, et al. CACP syndrome: identification of five novel mutations and of the first case of UPD in the largest European cohort. Eur J Hum Genet 2014;22(2):197-201. DOI: 10.1038/ejhg.2013.123
4. Patil DV, Phadke MS, Pahwa JS, Dalal AB. Brothers with constrictive pericarditis - A novel mutation in a rare disease. Indian Heart J 2016;68 Suppl 2:S284-S7. DOI: 10.1016/j.ihj.2016.03.020
5. Ai M, Cui Y, Sy MS, Lee DM, Zhang LX, Larson KM, et al. Anti-lubricin monoclonal antibodies created using lubricin-knockout mice immunodetect lubricin in several species and in patients with healthy and diseased joints. PLoS One 2015;10(2):e0116237. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0116237
6. Choi BR, Lim YH, Joo KB, Paik SS, Kim NS, Lee JK, et al. Camptodactyly, arthropathy, coxa vara, pericarditis (CACP)syndrome: a case report. J Korean Med Sci 2004;19(6):907-10.
7. Taşar M, Eyileten Z, Kasımzade F, Uçar T, Kendirli T, Uysalel A. Camptodactyly-arthropathy-coxa vara-pericarditis (CACP)syndrome. Turk J Pediatr 2014;56(6):684-6.