Main Article Content
Peroneal neuropathy is a common focal compression neuropathy presenting with foot drop. Wide variety of conditions results in peroneal neuropathy around the knee which includes habitual and occupational related, trauma related, post-surgical or sports related. I present here a case where repetitive climbing helical stairs caused clinically and electrodiagnostically proven peroneal neuropathy around knee in a 53 years old male. The patient underwent twelve week of comprehensive rehabilitation following which he showed substantial improvement in functional activities.
KEYWORDS: Peroneal Neuropathies (MeSH), Electromyography (MeSH), Neural Conduction (MeSH)
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
2. Stewart JD. Foot drop: where, why and what to do? Pract Neurol 2008;8(3):158–69. DOI: 10.1136/jnnp.2008.149393
3. Koller RL, Blank NK. Strawberry pickers’ palsy. Arch Neurol 1980;37(5):320.
4. Marciniak C. Fibular (peroneal) neuropathy: electrodiagnostic features and clinical correlates. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2013;24(1):121–37. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmr.2012.08.016. Epub 2012 Oct 26.
5. Yilmaz E, Karakurt L, Serin E, Güzel H. Peroneal nerve palsy due to rare reasons: a report of three cases. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2004;38(1):75–8.
6. Rubin DI, Nottmeier E, Blasser KE, Peterson JJ, Kennelly K. Acute onset of deep peroneal neuropathy during a golf game resulting from a ganglion cyst. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis 2004;6(2):49–53.
7. Erdil M, Ozkan K, Ozkan FU, Bilsel K, Turkmen I, Senol S, et al. A rare cause of deep peroneal nerve palsy due to compression of synovial cyst - Case report. Int J Surg Case Rep 2013;4(5):515–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijscr.2012.11.028. Epub 2013 Mar 13
8. Schulze J, Troeger H. [Fibular nerve compression due to an unusual cause. A case report. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2004;36(1):25–8. DOI: 10.1055/s-2004-815811
9. Yang LJ, Gala VC, McGillicuddy JE. Superficial peroneal nerve syndrome: an unusual nerve entrapment. Case report. J Neurosurg 2006;104(5):820–3. DOI:10.3171/jns.2006.104.5.820