Main Article Content
OBJECTIVES: To find out the diagnostic role of platelet indices in newly diagnosed patients of myocardial infarction and compare it with normal individuals.
METHODS: The platelet indices were measured in 100 newly diagnosed patients of myocardial infarction admitted in cardiology unit, Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) Peshawar, Pakistan and were compared with 100 normal subjects. Two milliliter of venous blood of each subject was collected in K3-EDTA tubes. Platelet indices were assayed by using Sysmex KX-21, Japan auto-analyzer in clinical laboratory of LRH within 10-20 minutes of collection of blood. The data was analyzed by using SPSS version 20.
RESULTS: There were 85 males and 15 females in cases and 75 males and 25 females in control group. The mean ages in cases and control group were 50.87+11.02 47.31+12.09 respectively. Platelets count was significantly decreased by 19.93% (p<0.05) to 233 x109/L in patients as compared to controls where it was 291.27x109/L. Mean platelets volume (MPV) was significantly increased by 19.38% (p<0.05) 10.99+1.34fl in cases as compared to control where it was 9.21+0.98 fl. Platelets distribution width was also increased by 14.64% (p<0.05) and was 14.17+2.14fl in cases as compared to 12.36+1.86fl in controls. Platelets large cell ratio was also increased by 24.03% (p<0.05) and was 28.21+7.84% in cases as compared to 22.83+6.85% in controls. The same results were found when platelet indices were compared separately in males and females.
CONCLUSION: Platelet count was decreased whereas rest of the platelet indices were significantly raised in newly diagnosed cases of myocardial infarction.
KEYWORDS: Myocardial Infarction (MeSH), Platelet Count (MeSH), Mean Platelet Volume (MeSH).
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
1. Machlus KR, Thon JN, Italiano JE. Interpreting the developmental dance of the megakaryocyte: A review of the cellular and molecular processes mediating platelet formation". Br J Hematol 2014;165(2):227–6.
2. James O White. Platelets. Michelson AD, Editor. 3rd edition, Academic Press Elsevier 2013;P.117-8.
3. Holmsen H. Physiological functions of platelets. Ann Med Feb 1989;21(1):23-30.
4. Grover A, Bahl A, Vijyvergiya R, Kumar RM, Thingan ST. Changing trends of cardiovascular disease in India: implications for prevention based on 2001 census. Indian J Cardiol 2003;6:59-3.
5. Thompson CB, Jakubowski JA, Quinn PG, Deykin D, Valeri CR. Platelet size as a determinant of platelet function. J Lab Clin Med 1983;101:205- 3.
6. Isik T, Ayhan E, Uyarel H et al. Increased mean platelet volume associated with extent of slow coronary flow. Cardiol J 2012;19(4):355–62.
7. Pizzuli L, Yang A, Martin JF, Luderitz B. Changes in platelet size and count in unstable angina compared to stable angina and non-cardiac chest pain. Eur Heart J 1998;19(1):80–4.
8. Greisenegger S, Endler G, Hsieh K, Tentschert S, Mannhalter C, Lalouschek W. Is elevated mean platelet volume associated with a worse Outcome in patients with acute ischemic cerebrovascular events? Stroke 2004;35(7):1688–91.
9. Bath P, Algert C, Chapman N, Neal B. Association of mean platelet volume with risk of stroke among 3134 individuals with history of cerebrovascular disease. Stroke 2004;35(3):622–6.
10. Kilicki-Camur N, Demirtunc R, Konuralp C, Eskiser A, Basaran Y. Could mean platelet volume be a predictive marker for acute myocardial infarction? Med Sci Monit 2005 Aug;11(8):CR387-92. Epub 2005 Jul 25.
11. Endler G, Klimesch A, Sunder-Plassmann H, Schillinger M, Exner M, Mannhalter C, et al. Mean platelet volume is an independent risk factor for myocardial infarction but not for coronary artery disease. Br J Haemat 2002;117(2):399–404.
12. Tekbas E, Kara AF, Ariturk Z, Cil H, Islamoglu Y, Elbey MA, et al. Mean platelet volume in predicting short- and long-term morbidity and mortality in patients with or without ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2011;71(7):613–9.
13. Dundar O, Yoruk P, Tutuncu L, Erikci AA, Muhcu M, Ergur AR, et al. Longitudinal study of platelet size changes in gestation and predictive power of elevated MPV in development of pre-eclampsia. Prenat Diagn 2008 Nov;28(11):1052-6.
14. Yazici S, Yazici M, Erer B, Calik Y, Ozhan H and Ataoglu S. The Platelet indices in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: Mean platelet volume reflects disease activity. Platelet 2010;21(2):122-5.
15. Hekimsoy Z , Payzin B, Ornek T, Kandoğan G.Mean platelet volume in Type 2 diabetic patients. J Diabetes Complications 2004;18(3):173-6.
16. Jindal S, Gupta S, Gupta R, Kakkar A, Singh HV, Gupta K, Singh S. Platelet indices in diabetes mellitus: indicators of diabetic microvascular complications. Hematology 2011;16(2): 86-9.
17. Goncalves SC, Labinaz M, Le May M, Glover C, Froeschi M, O’Brein E et al. Usefulness of mean platelet volume as a biomarker for long-term outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention. Am J Cardiol 2011 Jan 15;107(2):204-9.
18. Rechciński T, Jasińska A, Foryś J, Krzemińska-Pakuła M, Drabik W, Plewka M et al. Prognostic value of platelet indices after acute myocardial infarction treated with primary percutaneous coronary intervention. Cardiol J 2013;20(5):491–8.
19. Zuberi BF, Akhtar N, Afsar S. Comparison of mean platelet volume in patients with diabetes mellitus, impaired fasting glucose and non-diabetic subjects. Singapore Med J 2008:49(2):114-16.
20. Lippi G, Montagnana M, Salvagno GL, Guidi GC. Potential value for new diagnostic markers in the early recognition of acute coronary syndrome. CJEM 2006 Jan;8(1):27–31.
21. Boos CJ, Lip GY. Platelet activation and cardiovascular Outcomes in acute coronary syndromes. J Thromb Haemost 2006;4(12):2542–3.
22. Tsiara S, Elisaf M, Jagroop IA, Mikhailidis DP. Platelets as predictors of vascular risk: is there a practical index of platelet Activity. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2003;9(3):177–190.
23. Jesty J, Yin W, and Perrotta P, Bluestein D. Platelet activation in a circulating flow loop: combined effects of shear stress and exposure time. Platelets 2003;14(3):143–149.
24. Kamath S, Blann AD, Lip GY .Platelet activation: assessment and quantification. Eur Heart J 2001; 22(17):1561–71.
25. Shattil S.J., Newman P.J. Integrins: dynamic scaffolds for adhesion and signaling in platelets. Blood 2004;104(6):1606–15.
26. Botma J Mogongoa LF Jaftha AD, Janse van Rensburg W. Reference ranges for platelet indices using Sysmex XE -2100 blood analyser. Med Techno Sou Afri 2012;26(2):17-21.
27. Abass AE, Yassir T, Saeed Y, Taha1 A, Basheer A, Mubarak E, et al. Investigation of platelets count and indices in coronary artery diseases among Sudanese patients. J Dental and Med Sc Jan 2016;15(1):35-38.
28. Ranjith MP, Divyar R, Mehta VK, Krishnan MG, KamaRaj R, Avishwar A. Significance of platelet volume indices and platelet count in ischemic heart disease. J Clin Pathol 2009;62(9):830-3.
29. Yetkin E. Mean platelet volume not so far from being routine diagnostic and prognostic measurement. Thromb Haemost 2008;100:3-4. doi: 10.1160/TH08-05-0336.
30. Assiri AS, Jamil AM, Mahfouz AA, Mahmoud ZS, Ghallab M. Diagnostic importance of platelet parameters in patients with acute coronary syndrome admitted to a tertiary care hospital in southwest region, Saudi Arabia. J Saudi Heart Assoc 2012;24(1):17–21. doi: 10.1016/j.jsha.2011.08.004. Epub 2011 Oct 20.
31. Hamudi Al-Obeidi SR, Ahmedm SH A. Obeid F . Evaluation of Platelet Indices in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndrome. Mustansiriya Med J 2013;12(1):58-64.
32. Yaghoubi A, Golmohamadi Z, Alizadehasal A, Azarfarin R. Role of platelet parameters and haematological indices in myocardial infarction and unstable angina. J Pak Med Assoc 2013;63(9):1133-6.
33. Mirzaie AZ, Abolhasaan M, Ahmadineajad B, Panahi M. Platelet count and MPV, routinely measured but ignored parameters use in conjuction with diagnosis of acute coronary syndrome: single study centre in Iranian population, 2010. Med J Islam Repub Iran 2012;26(1):17-21.
34. Luca GD, Santagostino M, Seeco GG, Cassetti E, Giuliani L, Coppo L, et al. Platelet Large cell ration and extent of coronary artery disease. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2010;30(4):426-33.