Main Article Content
INTRODUCTION; Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome (SLOS) is an autosomal recessive genetic condition caused by deficiency of the enzyme 7-dehydrocholesterol-delta 7-reductase. This enzyme converts 7-dehydrocholesterol (7DHC) to cholesterol resulting in generalized cholesterol deficiency.1,2 Cases of SLOS can vary widely in their clinical presentation. The most commonly observed features include characteristic dysmorphic features, syndactly, growth retardation, microcephaly, Intellectual disability and ambiguous genitalia.3,4
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
1. Jira P.Cholesterol metabolism deficiency.Handb Clin Neurol. 2013;113:1845-50.
2. Gedam R, Shah I, Ali U, Ohri A.Smith-Lemli-Opitz-syndrome.Indian J Hum Genet. 2012 May;18 (2):235-7.
3. Porter FD. Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: pathogenesis, diagnosis and management. Eur J Hum Genet. 2008; 16(5): 535-541
4. Nowaczyk MJ, Cunniff C. Smith-Lemli-Opitz-syndrome and other disorders of cholesterol biosynthesis: An introduction.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2012 Nov 15; 160C(4): 239-4
5. Nowaczyk MJ1, Nakamura LM, Eng B, Porter FD, Waye JS. Frequency and ethnic distribution of the common DHCR7 mutation in Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. Am J Med Genet. 2001 Sep 1; 102(4): 383-6.
6. Smith DW, Lemli L, Opitz JM: A newly recognized syndrome of multiple congenital anomalies; J Pediatr 1964; 64: 210-21
7. Brassier A, Ottolenghi C, Boddaert N, Sonigo P, Attié-Bitach T, Millischer-Bellaiche AE, Baujat G, Cormier-Daire V, Valayannopoulos V, Seta N, Piraud M, Chadefaux-Vekemans B, Vianey-Saban C, Froissart R, de Lonlay P.Prenatal symptoms and diagnosis of inherited metabolic diseases.Arch Pediatr. 2012 Sep; 19(9): 959-69.
8. Richard I Kelleya, Raoul C M Hennekam. The Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome. J Med Genet 2000; 37:321-335
9. A K Ryan, K Bartlett, P Clayton, S Eaton, L Mills, D Donnai, R M Winter, J Burn. Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome: a variable clinical and biochemical phenotype. J Med Genet 1998; 35:558-565
10. Vishwanath Machakanur, Sudha Rudrappa, Sonia Louis. “Smith-lemli-opitz syndrome - a case report”. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2013; Vol2, Issue 51, December 23; Page: 9971-9974.