Main Article Content
This review was written on data collected from case reports, cross-sectional studies, open-label studies and phase –II trials between 1989-2012. Web sites and other online resources of American college of surgeons, Medline, NCBI and Medscape resource centers were used to extract data. Mucocele of the appendix is a rare lesion characterized by the dilatation of the appendix lumen with mucus accumulation. It is more common in 5th and 6th decade with female preponderance. Appendiceal mucoceles can be classified into four histologic groups namely, mucinous cystadenomas, mucosal hyperplasia, simple or retention cysts & Mucinous cystadenocarcinomas. The preoperative diagnosis is usually difficult due to nonspecific clinical presentation. The “onion skin sign” on ultrasound is considered to be specific for mucocele of the appendix. CT scan abdomen usually shows a cystic well-encapslated mass, communicating directly with the cecum sometimes with mural punctate or curvilinear calcification, which may be causing extrinsic pressure on the caecal wall without any surrounding inflammatory reaction. All patients who present with an asymptomatic mass or an incidental cystic lesion of the appendix should undergo surgical exploration, resection and is determined by the organ’s integrity, the dimensions of the base and histological type of the lesion.
Work published in KMUJ is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
2. Hibi K, Mizutani M, Imazawa M, Nakamusa T, Nonoyama M, Shibata H. Mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix associated with muscular and neuromatous hyperplasia: Report of a case. Nagoya J med Sci 2008;70:35-40.
3. Filo JG, De Lira EF. Mucocele of appendix: Appendecectomy and Colectomy. J Coloproctol 2011; 31(3):516-20.
4. Koktener A, Akin A, Rosehem D, Dever C. Primary appendiceal tumour; Clinical imaging and pathological findings. Report of four cases. Radiologie 2011;94(2):63-5.
5. Bartlett C, Manoharan M, Jackson A. Mucocele of the appendix – a diagnostic dilemma: a case report J Med Case Reports 2007;1:183.
6. Caspi B, Cassif E, Auslender R, Herman A, Hagay Z, Appelman Z. The onion skin sign: a specific sono0graphic marker of appendiceal mucocele. J Ultrasound Med 2004;23:117–21.
7. Navarra G, Asopa V, Basaglia E, Jones M, Jiao LR, Habib NA. Mucous cystadenoma of the appendix: is it safe to remove it by a laparoscopic approach? Surg Endosc 2003;17:833–4.
8. Dhage-Ivatury S, Sugarbaker PH. Update on the surgical approach to mucocele of the appendix. J Am Coll Surg 2002;202(4):680-4.
9. Ruiz-Tovar J, Teruel DG, Castineiras VM, Dehesa AS, Quindós PL, Molina EM. Mucocele of the appendix. World J Surg 2007;31(3):542-8.
10. Pecnik P, Promberger R, Ott J. Mucocele of appendix mimicking ovarian cysts. J Solid Tumours 2012;2(5):54-9.
11. Miyakura Y, Kumano H, Horie H, Lefer AJ, Yasuda Y, Yamaguchi T. Rupture of appendiceal mucocele due to endometriosis: report of a case. Clin J Gastroenterol 2012;5: 220-4.
12. Yamane YD, Yamane H, Castro Júnior PC, Marsilac A, Mesquita RB, Paulo FL. Mucolele da apêndice – relato de caso e revisão da literatura. Rev bras Coloproct 2005;25(3):256-60.
13. Pickhardt PJ, Levy AD, Rohrmann CA Jr, Kende Al. primary neoplasms of appendix: radiologic spectrum of disease with pathologic correlation. Radiographic 2003;23(3):645-62.
14. Wong U, Darwin P. Appendiceal mucocele diagnosed in patents with inflammatory bowel disease using endo0scopic ultrasound. Case report Med 2012; 2012:154-7.
15. Uni Wong U, Darwin P. Appendiceal mucocele Diagnosed in Patients with Inflammatory Bowel Disease Using 0Endoscopic Ultrasound. Case report Med 2012;20(12):231-3.
16. Hamilton DL, Stormont JM. The volcano sign of appendiceal mucocele. Gastrointest Endosc 1989;35(5):453-6.
17. Pahlavan PS, Kanthan R. Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix. World J Surg Oncol 20005;3(36):1-11.
18. Fornaro R, Frascio M, Sticchi C, De Salvo L, Stabilini C, Mandolfino F, et al. Appendectomy or right hemicolectomy in the treatment of appendiceal carcinoid tumors? Tumori 20007;93(6):587-90.
19. Veyril N, Ata T, Muscari F, Couchard A, Msika S, Hay J, et al. Anastomotic leakage after elective right colectomy versus left colectomy for cancer: Prevalence and independent risk factors. J Am Coll Surg 2007;205(6):785-93.
20. Gurevitch AJ, Davidovitch B, Kashtan H. Outcome of right colectomy for cancer in octogenarians. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13(1):100-4.
21. González Moreno S, Sugarbaker PH. Right hemicolectomy does not confer a survival advantage in patients with mucinous carcinoma of the appendix and peritoneal seeding. Br J Surg 20004;91(3):304-11.
22. Bucher P, Ma0the Z, Demirag A, Morel P. Appendix tumors in the era of the laparoscopic appendectomy. Surg Endosc 2004;18(7):1063-6.
23. Winawer SJ, Zau0ber AG, Fletcher RH, Stillman JS, O'Brien MJ, Levin B, et al. Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after polipectomy: a consensus update by the US Multi-Society Task Force on C0olorectal Cancer and the American Cancer Society. J Clin Oncol 2006;56(3):143-59.
24. Desch CE, Benson III AB, Somerfield MR, Flynn PJ, Krause C, Loprinzi CL, et al. Colorectal cancer surveillance: 2005 update of an American Society of Clinical Oncology practice guideline. J Clin Oncol 2005;23(33):8512-9.
25. Ezzahra Z F, Majdoub K I, Hicham A, Ousadden A, Mazaz K, Taleb KA. Uncommon mimics of appendicitis: giant mucocele. Pan Afr Med J 2010; 7: 7.
26. Filho J G A, Lira E F, Mucocele of Appendix. Appendicectomy or colectomy? J Coloproctol 2011; 31(3) 215-9.
27. Murphy EM, Sexton R, Moran BJ. Early results of surgery in 123 patients with pseudomyxoma peritonei from a perforated appendiceal neoplasm. Dis Colon Rectum 2006;500(1):37-42.
28. Esquivel J, Sticca R, Sugarbaker P, Levine E, Yan TD, Alexander R, et al. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of peritoneal surface ma0lignancies of colonic origin: A consensus statement. Ann Surg Oncol 2007;14(1):1208-33.
29. González-Moreno S, Brun E, Sugarbaker PH. Lymph nodes metastasis in epithelial with peritoneal disse0mination does not reduce survival in patients treated by cytoreductive surgery and perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol 2005;12(1):72-80.
30. Verwaal VJ, Zoetmulder FAN. Follow-up of patients treated by cytoreduction and chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colorectal origin. Eur J Surg Oncol 2004;30(3):280-5.
31. Loungnarath R, Causeret S, Bossard N, Faheez M, Sayag-Neaujard AC, Brigand C, et al. Cytoreductive surgery with intraperitoneal chemohyperthermia for the treatment of pseudomyxoma peritonei: A prospective study. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48(7):1372-9.
32. El Ajmi M, Rebai W, Ben Safta Z. Mucocele of appendiceal stump--an atypical presentation and a diagnostic dilemma. Acta Chir Belg 2009 ;109(3):414-5.
33. Kelemouridou E, Mogrampi SA, Tsavis G, Verroiotou M. Rallis T, Fardellas I. Mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix. A diagnostic dilemma? Chirurgia (Bucur) 2011;106(2):251-4.
34. Scaffa C, Di Bella O, tartaglia E, Rotondi M, Lup F, Messalli EM. Surgical approach to appendiceal mucocele mimicking an adnexal complex mass: case report. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 2007;28(6):503-5.
35. Caracappa D, Gulla N, Gentile D, Listori C, Boselli C, Cirocchi R, et al. Appendiceal mucocele. A case report and literature review. Ann Ital Chir 2011;82(3):239-45.
36. Mihin I, Ghidirim G, Zastavnitsky G, Popa C. Torsion of an appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma. Report of a case and review of literature. Ann Ital Chir 2012;83(1):75-8.
37. Khan MR, Ahmed R, Saleem T. Intricacies in the surgical management of appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma; a case report and review of literature. J Med Case Report 2010;4:129.